Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default The disability industry

On 25/11/2019 15:17, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 06:58:42 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

"The disabled" and "the elderly" are usually regarded as being clueless
and will spend money on anything advertised by a nice man wearing a
cardigan [1], and anything non-core-activity that's bought by companies
is fair game. Manufacturers who calculate the cost of a product down to
0.001 penny will pay for lightbulbs at £30 a pop to "facilities
management".

There's also the fact that a lot of provisioning authorities seem quite
happy to pay whatever is asked.

When you say "provisioning authorities" presumably you are thinking
about Local Authorities and the NHS? I'd like to think that the NHS are
a bit more on the ball at the sharper end of the business but I suspect
there is sometimes a lack of commercial awareness. One thing that
privatisation achieved in the electricity supply industry is that staff
all the way down to the shop floor did start to be shown the financial
realities.