Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Replacing indoor mortice latches

In article , Caecilius
writes
Many of the mortice latches on my internal doors are not as smooth as
I'd like. I think they're all about 20 years old, so I'm planning to
replace them all at once rather than just replacing the bad ones.

I know there's a a nasty failure mode with these latches where the
die-cast insides can fail leaving you locked in or out, and I'm keen
to avoid cheap-and-nasty brands that might do this if possible.

There are a large range of prices at screwfix - from 99p each to over
5 pounds. Is price any indication of quality with these sorts of
items? I'm wondering whether it's best to buy a branded one like
Smith and Locke (which maybe just a B&Q / Screwfix brand anyway) or
just go with the unbranded cheap ones and maybe replace them every few
years.

Speaking from experience if you start with the cheap unbranded ones when
they do go you will find the later cheap unbranded ones from the same
shed are not the same size.
--
bert