Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default inductive?

No.
I don't think one could do this in any efficient way.
I'd have thought some kind of simple mating connection would work fine at a
low voltage. If you want them on when the gate is open but its only open for
a while then one could use a UPS on the gate with the connection connecting
the charging.
To do power transfer well seems to require HF AC at quite a high current
from what I recall. Looking at the inductive chargers for smart phones they
do seem to have a lot of electronics involved in the detection of the tuned
reception system as well. The question is, is the use case worth the hassle
of building something big enough.

Note crosspost removed to satisfy Albersani server
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I want to put some LED lights on my sliding gate. I wondered if I could
power them inductively, with a power 'transmitter' fixed to the gatepost
and a power 'receiver' on the gate, positioned so when the gate's shut they
are close together and the LEDs come on. The power requirement of the
lights is 24W at 12VDC. The positional accuracy of the gate is good.

Bill