Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Best way to remove sticky Araldite from hands?

"NY" wrote in message
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/11/2019 11:39, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)" wrote in message
However it was one of the hottest days of the year and somebody was
despatched to decant some acetone into some small bottles for use on
the shop floor. After a few minutes the person had not returned so the
supervisor went to find them, to find them passed out on the floor and
the stench of acetone suffocating. She dragged the person out, who,
fortunately was still alive and eventually they came around.

In my first job, in my "gap year" between A-levels and university, I
worked in a research chemistry laboratory. We had various Winchester
bottles of solvents. One of the other students, the nephew of Lord
somebody (*) and a pupil of Marlborough (which he pronounced in the
upper-class way: Mawlborough), was a bit of a tearaway. He had already
boasted about how he took home some ampoules of the amyl nitrate from
the cyanide-antidote kit, for a sexual high. One day, as he was driving
somewhere, he started to feel very light-headed. He claims that he
"found" a broken Winchester of ether in the boot, so no wonder he was
drowsy... It's a wonder he didn't either doze off and crash, or else get
blown up (ether burns explosively). I imagine he took the bottle home to
sniff it and it broke when he went over a pothole.

(*) The lad was forever boasting about visiting his uncle at "The House"
(of Lords).

Where is he now? In the government?

I have often wondered whether he is still alive or whether one of his
hare-brained experiments with dodgy substances has finished him off.

Shouldn’t be hard to trace home with that sort of background.

The school class photos likely can remind you of his name.

He was the archetypal "expensively-educated twit". He told us in all
innocence how he went for a walk in some woodland nearby and was annoyed
and indignant when he got turned back by security guards and dogs - he
said he didn't know that Chequers was there and that it was out of bounds.
I'm not sure how far he got but he made it sound as if he got to the
lawns, with the house in sight, before he was challenged. This would have
been in the early 80s, so when the IRA was a very credible terrorist risk.

I wonder whether his uncle had any children of his own or he would have
become the next Lord Something when his uncle died.

Cant be too many denizens of the HoL
who don’t have a wikipedia entry.