Posted to alt.home.repair

Default radio

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:16:02 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 22 Nov 2019 20:14:38 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 23:32:26 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
You are correct that NTSC audio was a frequency modulated signal.

You are incorrect (with one minor caveat) that it was trival to
put a TV band tuner in an FM radio. The caveat being the frequency
allocation for channel 6 was just below the FM band, analog FM tuners
could tune low enough to pick up the audio for channel six.

The audio carriers for the remaining VHF channels were outside the broadcast
FM radio band and the UHF (14+) were way outside the broadcast FM
radio band. Adding circuitry to handle the wide VHF range required
along with the UHF to a standard Broadcast FM Radio-band receiver
in order to recieve audio from the NTSC channels other than six would
have to be recouped via higher cost to the buyer of the set.

That is why I said TV Tuner. The rest of the radio was pretty much the
same, you just needed a tuner section with a wider mouth. I had one of
those little "TV Radios" for years. They were pretty cheap and battery
operated so if you were interested in a show where the script was more
interesting than the video it was OK.

I never listened to more than a couple minutes, and it wasn't designed
for radio, but I think Law & Order would be a good show to listen to.

I listen to TV a lot. If a shows writing is so bad that it is
dependent on sight gags I don't want to watch it anyway. I outgrew the
3 stooges when I was about 6.
I have an RF headset and I walk around doing things more productive
when the TV is on. I am finding just turning the damned thing off is
better most of the time. I will crank up my tunes if I need something
to listen to.