davefr

Default can I apply exterior semi gloss directly over flat exterior paint?

There's a saying that nothing sticks to latex like more latex.

But having said that, you can run into problems if the base coat is a
real low end/non acrylic latex.

You'll probably want 2 coats anyway so I'd make the firt one a primer
coat tinted to half the color formula of the topcoat and then you can
probably get by with one topcoat assuming you use quality paint.

I prefer Pratt and Lambert Suprime for the primer and Accolade for the
topcoat. Make sure you start by preparing the walls by washing with a
TSP solution and rinse.

(Bruce Millar) wrote in message . com...
About 6 months ago I hired a painting contractor to paint a rental
property that I own. The building was painted with white flat latex,
sprayed on. It was a "budget" job, which I am now regreting, as all
of the dust, pollen, etc. sticks right to the paint. The paint was
also put on too thin for my liking.

My question - Can I apply a quality semi-gloss exterior latex directly
on top of the flat latex without priming? The flat latex has a
surface that looks and feels (to me, a non-painter) just about like a
primer. Opinions?