Harry Bloomfield

Default Non-copper wire in ring main?

Ewan MacIntyre wrote on Saturday (03/01/2004) :
Hello.

While adding some sockets to my wife's study, I've found sections of
non-copper cable in my ring main. It's an old house, though the vast majority
of the wiring is less than a few decades old.

The cable has multiple strands, perhaps about 7, and is made
by Pirelli. I couldn't see a type code on it. It seems quite chunky, but I'm
surprised to see that it is not made from copper, but is probably steel.
Outwardly, it looks like regular grey T&E, but is more amenable to bending.

Is this cable normal?

I would suggest it is aluminium, which would be bigger due to greater
losses and feel softer to bend. It was used in response to the high
price of copper in the 1970's.

It did have problems with poor connections resulting in over heating,
so it would be worth while replacing it with copper, along with the
sockets. The only uses I have heard of for steel, was for telecoms
where the steel was copper plated.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)