Thread: Earth Bonding
View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Earth Bonding

Got the new CU up and wired up today just a few cables which are coming down the wall which need tidying up and the final connection of the garage feed once the garage end is sorted.

I have connected the main earth bond which was fed into the CU using the same gland that I fed the 25mm2 tails however I have a slight problem feeding the gas bond, main water and CH bond. The gas bond as already installed is 16mm2 but too short to be fed in the trunking that all the cables coming through the floor come up before entering the CU from behind. However with a suitable gland could readily enter the CU from beneath. The two water pipe bonds in 10mm2 could be re-routed through the trunking but it is getting a bit crowded with two 2.5mm2 T&E still to be added when the kitchen ring main is installed. The simplest solution to me without using fresh cable is simply to route them together into the CU through a single gland. The outside diam. of the 16mm2 is approx. 7mm whilst the 10mm2 is just under 6mm. I have seen a gland that suits 10 - 16mm2 T&E and based on the cable dimensions in the wiki this gland seems suitable for all three.

The gland I think is my favoured option. Alternatively could I feed a single 16mm2 cable out of the CU to an external earth terminal strip and connect the three bonds to it? I would be interested in any other ideas remember whatever is suggested it needs to get by the BCO.

Richard