Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating utility room

On 21/11/2019 15:53, Andrew wrote:
On 15/11/2019 21:36, Fredxx wrote:
On 15/11/2019 21:08:49, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 15/11/2019 18:23, Fredxx wrote:
On 14/11/2019 19:21:46, Paul Giverin wrote:
About 25 years ago we had a small utility room built on to our
kitchen. Its only about 1.5m x 1.5m internally and two of the four
walls are part of the existing house, i.e cavity brick/block. The
other two walls are single brick exposed to the elements. All the
walls are bare brick internally. Nothing has been plastered. It
has always suffered from some condensation on the single brick
walls but this year we splashed out and replaced the original
single glazed door and window with efficient sealed units.

With the onset of colder weather, the condensation seems to have
got worse. I was thinking about tanking/insulating the inside of
the single brick walls. When you take away the window and the
door, there is only 3 or 4 square meters of single brickwork. I
was considering simply attaching some insulated plasterboard (link
below) to the internal single brickwork using a grab adhesive.
Will this plan work?

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/ther...-38mm/p/383834

That's expensive stuff but I guess easier to apply than battens and
polystyrene infill between battens.

Polystyrene is banned except in floor screeds. Extreme fire risk.

Best tell Travis Perkins:

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/ther...-30mm/p/752767

And Jewsons

https://www.jewson.co.uk/building-ma...-plasterboard/

And B&Q

https://www.diy.com/departments/gypr.../119541_BQ.prd

And the residents of Grenfell towers..

Which was insulated with Celotex 'XR', which as I recollect, at the
time, you refused to accept that it contributed to the fire.

Actually it was the decorative cladding that was the issue more than the
celotex.

BCO wouldn't let me out it in the walls back in 2000.

One concern using grab adhesive is how well it works with a wet wall.

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching