Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default False stained glass

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 16:58:42 UTC, petek wrote:
A friend of mine would like a stained glass window with a bespoke design at the top of her stairs to replace the existing window. Real stained glass would be too expensive, even if I was capable and were to have a go myself, so I was thinking of making it with adhesive lead strip and glass paints on a clear "plastic" sheet and then fixing this on the inside of the existing glass. I've seen a few links on t'internet for this kind of thing but have a few questions.
The existing window is a double glazed unit approx 500 mm x 1200 mm.
1 I'm confused re the different materials and what would be best for this.. Polycarb? Acrylic?
2 Would 2 mm thickness be OK?
3 Whats the best method for cutting a sheet to the exact size of the existing glass? Score & snap?
4 I was thinking of fixing it to the existing glass by making it a few mm smaller all round and then using a narrow silicone bead to hold it in place. Any other ideas?
5 If I fix it rigidly in place as above, what about differential expansion? Would it buckle?
Grateful for any advice.
Cheers

2mm acrylic is warped before differential expansion, never mind after. Use 4mm if you want it flat.
Plastics don't last, it makes more sense to use glass.

NT