Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Don't worry Ghislaine Maxwell

"Robin" wrote in message
On 20/11/2019 15:07, The Todal wrote:
On 20/11/2019 13:19, Pancho wrote:
On 19/11/2019 23:02, Norman Wells wrote:

What do you mean by 'trafficking'?

I was curious about what trafficking meant, so did a quick wiki.

In USA law and in the case of a minor it seems to require nothing more
than inducing an under eighteen year old to commit a sex act.

So maybe the equivalent of the word "procuring" in English law. Just my
suggestion.

s22 Causing prostitution of women

(1)It is an offence for a person€”

(a)to procure a woman to become, in any part of the world, a common
prostitute ; or

(b)to procure a woman to leave the United Kingdom, intending her to
become an inmate of or frequent a brothel elsewhere; or

(c)to procure a woman to leave her usual place of abode in the United
Kingdom, intending her to become an inmate of or frequent a brothel in
any part of the world for the purposes of prostitution.

unquote

Is it central to the American offence of trafficking that the woman ends
up selling sex for money or being part of a brothel?

For some reason I naively thought trafficking involved moving or
transporting but it seems to be closer to meaning "trade". Possibly this
follows from the drug context, as in drug trafficker.

It seems to be a very reasonable question. I would certainly appreciate
correction if I have misunderstood.

Epstein was reportedly charged under 18 U.S. Code §€¯1591 (Sex trafficking
of children or by force, fraud, or coercion) which is similar to
"procuring" but applies only where a person is under 18 and for a
"commercial sex act"[1]. The latter is defined as "any sex act, on account
of which anything of value is given to or received by any person". I've
no idea if "anything of value" means (in UK terms) "money's worth" or
extends to wider benefits.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...77-sec1591.htm

"§1591. Sex trafficking of children or by force, fraud, or coercion

"(a) Whoever knowingly€”

(1) in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, or within the special
maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States, recruits,
entices, harbors, transports, provides, obtains, or maintains by any means
a person; or

(2) benefits, financially or by receiving anything of value, from
participation in a venture which has engaged in an act described in
violation of paragraph (1),

knowing, or in reckless disregard of the fact, that means of force,
threats of force, fraud, coercion described in subsection (e)(2), or any
combination of such means will be used to cause the person to engage in a
commercial sex act, or that the person has not attained the age of 18
years and will be caused to engage in a commercial sex act, shall be
punished as provided in subsection (b).

etc etc etc"

That one is a federal crime and its far from clear if Andy was
involved in any federal crime, involving any interstate whatever.