Bob Powell

Default Building a pole barn shop

"Don" wrote in message
m...
I am wanting to build an extra garage because mine is full. I am
thinking of building a pole barn type with 2 garage doors. Probably
30x30.

I have been fighting with the idea of building it myself. I have a
tractor with a bucket available to me as well as an auger for the
tractor.

Any advice? How far are posts, trusses spaced? How do I ensure the
building is square?

It's a fine DIY project. There are any number of "how to" books on the
design and construction of pole buildings with specific examples, that's a
better choice than relying entirely on r.c.m. free advice :-)

Can also buy standard plans that give material dimensions and spacing with
the engineering for a specific snow load.

I've helped put up a few pole structures, tractor is a big help dropping
posts into holes and lifting trusses.

The most useful advice is to put a vapor barrier under the slab and wrap the
frame with an "insulating vapor barrier" before attaching the skin. If you
don't need clear interior space, save some trouble by building it on a grid
of posts supporting individual 2x beams, much easier than dealing with
trusses.

Bob