Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default New electrical circuit - requesting assistance

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 00:18:23 -0500, wrote:

Don't let the internet pedantics screw with you too much.

It's all good.

1/2" is probably fine if you run enough wire in there initially (7
legal but maybe not possible). I think 5 is plenty. That gives you
240v capability and an extra switch loop. That will be a tug and use
lube. 3/4th is too damned close in price to be worth the hassle.

Good so far.

8 gauge is just silly. What is your load going to be? A weed eater?
Some other garden tool? It will just run an imperceptible amount
slower .If you had an induction motor load I might worry but don;t get
silly. It is a damned shed. If you think it will be a shop some day
use 1" and use a #12 to pull in your 4ga.

Let's see, I'm thinking of a 4ft LED work light, a transistor radio, a weed
eater, another light on the exterior of the shed, and worst case, one
serious power tool such as a miter saw rated for 12A. 99% of the time that
power is being used, it would likely just be the interior work light and
the radio. The other stuff would rarely be used, but I want to plan for it.

So 10g and not 8ga, then?