Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New electrical circuit - requesting assistance

On 11/19/2019 10:33 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm planning to run a new electrical circuit out to a storage shed in my
back yard and I'd like some help with the details. I'm the homeowner and
I'll be doing most of the work myself, but I want it to be safe and up to
code.

1. I have called 811 - Call before you dig. They'll be coming out on
Thursday of this week to locate and mark all of the underground utilities.

2. I will be using a licensed electrician to connect the new service to the
existing service, but other than that final step everything else is on me.
I have experience with switches and fixtures, but not with the other
aspects of the project.

3. The rest of the 120VAC circuits in my home are 20A circuits, so by
default I'm planning to make this new circuit 20A as well. I believe a
single 120VAC circuit should be fine for both lights and receptacles out
there. The biggest load I can envision is possibly running a miter saw,
which is rated at 12A. Just in case I take that saw out there, I think a
15A circuit might be stretching it thin.

Q: Any issues with a single new 20A circuit for both lights and
receptacles?

If you blow a breaker at night you will be left in the dark. What are
you doing in the shed? Power tools? If so, rethink and bring 240 out
there and split it. Even with 120, put a small box for two breakers and
split the lights and plug so you can reset right there, not in the house.

5. I'm planning to use conduit versus direct-bury wire. Web calculators
seem to indicate that 1/2 inch conduit is fine, but I was thinking about
using 1 inch to make pulling the wires easier. I'm also open to using 3/4
inch conduit.

Q: Does code mandate a minimum conduit size? (Conduit fill) Does common
sense suggest a different (larger) size? Also, does conduit get assembled
as dry press fit, or does it get glued, section by section?

Yes, there is a limit to wire size and number. I've not done anything
for a long time so I'm rusty on code. I'd get the electrician out there
and go over the layout and get his recommendations on what is best. In
the long run it will be cheaper.

Q: I assume the electrician can create a new circuit from the 240VAC panel.
Are there any issues with that plan?

Best to have him look.