Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low light CCTV?

On 19/11/2019 22:33, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 11:27:00 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 18/11/2019 22:33, T i m wrote:

I don't have a specific target / scenario in mind, just that the std
IR illumination with colour during the day and b/w at night must be
the norm for good reason?

You can trade signal to noise by averaging over the pixels to get a
better monochrome image instead of a poxy looking noisy colour one. Same
applies to stereo vs mono audio when the signal is marginal.

Interesting.

There are certainly sensors about now when coupled with the right lens
that will give colour video images by the light of the moon. This is one
area where you do get what you pay for

I guessed that might be the case. ;-)

(although overpriced tat exists).

Quite and something I'm keen to avoid and hence why I asked here. ;-)

For food for thought.

You might want to ask the question on sci.astro.amateur too and take a
look at the unconventional use of webcams for astronomy on the QCUIAG
site (true DIY stuff using and adapting cheap webcams)

http://www.qcuiag.org.uk/

There is a lot of interesting low light stuff there.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown