Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Low light CCTV?

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 18/11/2019 22:33, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I was looking into a very basic domestic CCTV solution. I already have
a variety of gear to play with (old cameras, external enclosures,
DVR's etc) but am specifically interested in the very low light
cameras.

I believe some here have mentioned the NiteDevil range but reading
around seems to suggest that these sort of low light cameras (as
opposed to high-end / military I suspect) achieve such with fairly
long shutter times and so are prone to blurring / smearing on any
moving objects?

If that *is* likely to be an issue, IR would be ok as there is nothing
reflective, as could be basic PIR LED lamps to generally illuminate
the scene.

I don't have a specific target / scenario in mind, just that the std
IR illumination with colour during the day and b/w at night must be
the norm for good reason?

Cheers, T i m

I have a starlight camera and yes they blur on moving objects.

It doesn't use long shutter times but integrates many frames (512 max I
think).

I don't use it as a security cam.

The PIR light is probably the best if the camera can switch to daytime
colour fast enough.

Some of the night camera footage with the latest iphone and Samsung
Galaxys is amazing. Looks like it is taken in the late afternoon even when
it looks like in the middle of the night on a no moon night with ho street
lights in real life. Not cheap[ tho.