Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_6_] dennis@home[_6_] is offline

Default Low light CCTV?

On 18/11/2019 22:33, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I was looking into a very basic domestic CCTV solution. I already have
a variety of gear to play with (old cameras, external enclosures,
DVR's etc) but am specifically interested in the very low light
cameras.

I believe some here have mentioned the NiteDevil range but reading
around seems to suggest that these sort of low light cameras (as
opposed to high-end / military I suspect) achieve such with fairly
long shutter times and so are prone to blurring / smearing on any
moving objects?

If that *is* likely to be an issue, IR would be ok as there is nothing
reflective, as could be basic PIR LED lamps to generally illuminate
the scene.

I don't have a specific target / scenario in mind, just that the std
IR illumination with colour during the day and b/w at night must be
the norm for good reason?

Cheers, T i m

I have a starlight camera and yes they blur on moving objects.

It doesn't use long shutter times but integrates many frames (512 max I
think).

I don't use it as a security cam.

The PIR light is probably the best if the camera can switch to daytime
colour fast enough.