View Single Post
  #10   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Consumer Unit Layout (Final)

I have seen that Adam but it is getting the figures to put in the calculation is the issue I know where the substation is and could possibly pace out the distance and like the presenter would have to make quite a few assumptions for L as for environmental factors I simply do not know behind us is the city across the road running past our estate is green fields into the Pennines with just a scattering of villages in-between. The only figure I have with any confidence is lightning strike density which according to the presenters 18th edition is 0.5 per km2. I think someone at the IET came up with that calculation knowing full well that by the time anyone has got all the relevent figures, sat down and done the calculation with time equalling money has probably said "**** it, I'll put one in and get doing something that will earn me money". In my case time is not the issue and I was hoping to invoke the get out clause except the BCO was not having it!

Back to practicalities, I will now bring the tails in on the right hand bottom corner and feed them as neatly as possible over to the main switch. I already have the tails so will see how I manage with them first but if I struggle then I will go for the more flexible solution it's only money but this job is for keeps so might as well do it right in the first place.

This is what needs doing

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4bsk2hfkk...44208.jpg?dl=0

This is the corner of our kitchen and was a small pantry housing the CU and meters. Domestic Management did not like the pantry and wanted a worktop going literally wall to wall on that side of the kitchen. So the CU needs to be moved lower in fact over whatever was there when the house was first built. Got the distributer out who moved the meter to it's somewhat wonky position it is in now. I said to him what was going to happen and asked him to leave me long enough tails to connect to the new CU so he provided the two grey terminal blocks fastened to the small board which was bigger and fastened above until I wrenched it off the wall to make way. Other things that were removed was a pipe passing through to the outside tap and a plethora of junction boxes dangling off wires poking out of the wall which the guy who installed the CU you can see used to connect old wiring to new and the CU.. The dangling cables you can see are my new lighting circuits and a longer replacement cable for the shower so all will reach the new CU position. All the cables coming up through the floor will be run in trunking installed where the pantry wall was take a right angle at the new CU before entering through the back. The socket I want to include will be fitted above the meter under the CU against the trunking, this is for the washing machine which will go back in the space beside everything. It is also required for the wall wart of my low voltage landing lights down the side of the drive. To the right-hand side of where the CU will go is the isolator, and for those eagle eyes among us who have spotted it is upside down I can assure you it is already corrected. So the plan is to install the trunking chip out some plaster for the cables capping off those coming from above. Pull the suppliers fuse I have no intention of working live! Whip the old CU off after identifying all the cables. Replace the CU and wire in all the circuits except the kitchen ring main, extractor circuit and the oven and hob circuits which the BCO wants to see at their first fix. I have to replace the old red and black cables to the oven and hob because I am moving the business end of them he wants new cables! So sometime during this week between medical appointments it might get done!