Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

Default Consumer Unit Layout (Final)

On Saturday, 16 November 2019 11:41:47 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
The job might be made easier if I am allowed to strip the outer
insulation just past the gland to make bending the 25mm2
cables slightly easier

The outer sheating is for physical protection only and can be removed inside an enclosure. Remember though that the meter tails are live even when the CU main switch is off, and a slip of a pointy screwdriver could be nasty.

A lot less of an issue, I think, if you have an isolator external to the CU. In that case there need be no live parts in the CU when working in it.

You can also get 19-strand flexible meter tails type 6183Y to BS 6004 with BASEC approval

https://www.toolstation.com/doncaste...ils-kit/p79074

https://www.efixx.co.uk/Articles/rev...le-meter-tails

They appear to not need ferrules in CU cage type terminals, but might in meter screw terminals.

Owain