Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Giverin Paul Giverin is offline

Default Insulating utility room

On 14/11/2019 21:06, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 14/11/2019 19:21, Paul Giverin wrote:
About 25 years ago we had a small utility room built on to our
kitchen. Its only about 1.5m x 1.5m internally and two of the four
walls are part of the existing house, i.e cavity brick/block. The
other two walls are single brick exposed to the elements. All the
walls are bare brick internally. Nothing has been plastered. It has
always suffered from some condensation on the single brick walls but
this year we splashed out and replaced the original single glazed door
and window with efficient sealed units.

With the onset of colder weather, the condensation seems to have got
worse. I was thinking about tanking/insulating the inside of the
single brick walls. When you take away the window and the door, there
is only 3 or 4 square meters of single brickwork. I was considering
simply attaching some insulated plasterboard (link below) to the
internal single brickwork using a grab adhesive. Will this plan work?

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/ther...-38mm/p/383834

Thanks

That's what that plasterboard is designed for (I used to work for the
company that made it, back in the '70s.
You'll lose a small amount of space from the room - but it will make the
walls warmer.
Using the tapered-edge board you can achieve a fairly neat / invisible
join between the boards - there's a tape that goes into the taper before
you apply the filler, to prevent cracks later.

Thanks for that. To be honest, I'm not too worried about how good it
looks. Its only a utility room for appliances and currently is painted
brick. I'll probably just be painting the plasterboard in the same
colour as the rest of the room. I was just worried about the grab
adhesive being up to the job.

--
Paul Giverin