Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default fast, cheap way to retain heat in one room?

On 11/13/2019 03:31 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 13 Nov 2019 15:44:49 -0500, -asop-
wrote:

If you were doing zonal, portable heating of one room in the house, and
you wanted to better retain the heat produced from a small, portable
electric heater, what could you do to the room?

Put a towel against the door at the floor. If the windows are cold
around the edges, caulk. Inside or outside, or maybe both. If the
glass, it will obstruct your viision, but put a vinyl sheet over the
window. DIY or they sell kits which I guess make doing the edges
easier. Maybe some vinyl is clear enough to see pretty well, at least
for the first winter.

I have several windows that don't have much of a view and it's dark
enough here in the winter that except for the south facing windows they
don't add enough light to bother so I cut foam insulating panels to size
and use double sided tape to mount them to the frames.

Depending on how well insulated the room is to start with, foam on the
exterior walls will help. Throw rugs help if the floor is cold.