Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Where do smart meters get their power from?

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 12/11/2019 10:40, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

the mains meter is right in the core of the house and there is no
mobile signal to be had there for love nor money.

Are you oop north? there's a dedicated 400MHz network covering DNO
areas 15-18 & 23

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_network_operator#/media/Fileistribution_Network_Operators.PNG

elsewhere, mesh networking to neighbouring meters with better mobile
signal is an option.

Zone 15 but I suspect topography plays a big part as well.

There is another village in a valley nearby with zero signal. Phones
have to be on a windowsill facing the right way to get anything here.
Not great for battery life...

Leave them plugged in.

On the assumption that the user has an internet connection, you can use
Vodaphone's SureSignal if you're on Vodaphone or the equivalent from
another network provider. That how I use my phone here - and we're only 24
miles from Charing Cross!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England