Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where do smart meters get their power from?

On 11/11/2019 19:37, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 09/11/2019 11:06, Andy Burns wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

larkim wrote:

half hourly readings from the gas meter to the smart-enabled
electricity meter

Correct, except the gas meter updates the electric meter more
frequently than that.

My IHD certainly only receives gas readings every 30 minutes, whereas
the electricity readings are about every 15-20 seconds.

They may well be battery powered. My oil tank gauge is and it lasts
typically about 5 years on a custom stick of expensive AAA alkalines.

Don't you buy them from Poundland then?

When I say custom stick I mean a thing made of plumbing parts to
disguise the contents and then charge an arm and a leg for it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powertube...w/233388234091

At £26 on eBay is a fairly good price for a new one.
Official retail supplier would charge you *EVEN* more !

Dismantling it is made awkward but nothing that will defeat a keen
DIYer. Contents are 4xAAA alkaline batteries and a spring.

Kodak. 10 year guaranteed storage life. Never hasd one leak. 5
for £1 or you can get a 12 pack for £2. 17p each.

Same for AA, if you have a use for them - most people do these
days.

I try to use rechargables in most of my kit. But I always have a stock
of single use in case I need them. I have seriously gone off Duracell
after having multiple leaking cell issues with them.

Some things like my phone LCD display won't work on rechargables as the
terminal voltage is insufficient at very low currents.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown