Jason

Default Stove problem....melted pan..

Yes electric stove with coil. The metal didn't happen until I moved
the pan. As I didn't know it was that hot. Lucky for me it landed on
the stove and not me, my animals or my floor (that would have been
messy). The stove isn't all that expensive....(new they go for about
$300). Its a Frigidare...only 8 months old.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:38:40 -0500, "Tom"
wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

Not sure what to do here. But had a pan on the stove this afternoon,
turned on the burner, noticed a weird smell lifted up the pan and
melted metal(liquid metal)from the bottom of the pan fell off and on
to the top of my stove. It was so hot that it burnt though the finish
on the top of the stove(paint or whatever they use). Question...is
there anyway to get it refinished or to buy a new top for one of
these, I have never seen anything like this. Not sure if its a stove
or a pan malfunction. Lucky I was there when it happened or it may
have started a fire.

You don't say, but I would guess that you have an electric stove with coil
type burners. These will sometimes arc when they burn out and act somewhat
like a welder, melting the pan on them. You can buy new tops for most
stoves if they aren't too old but the cost would make it more sensible to
replace the stove. On the other hand, you could just replace the coil unit
(if that is what you have) and touch up the finish and live with it for now.
I had a customer once, who said that her stove threw molten metal from a pan
on it, all over the kitchen when it burnt out. Luckily, she wasn't in the
room.