Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Strange lighting wiring

In article 07c01b02-2b0f-4c66-9f1d-
, says...

On Sunday, 10 November 2019 07:06:58 UTC, Robin wrote:
On 10/11/2019 03:43, tabbypurr wrote:

Well I never knew before that the Avo 8 (with 1000 ohms-per-volt on AC
ranges of 100V and upwards) was at least close to "rock bottom" in the
moving coil meter market.

The Avo 8 is something from the 1930s. A lot changed since then thankfully. 1k/volt is precisely what rock bottom analog meters from the 60s on were. Rock bottom in the 1930s was the watch type moving iron meters, much less than 1k/volt.

When I started work in a TV service department in 1960, all
the meters were AVO 8 models. All service data quoted 'all
readings taken with 20k/volt meter', which is what the AVO 8
was.

However, looking at info for sets we were still repairing, the
voltages had obviously been taklen using its predecessor, the
AVO 7.

This points to the AVO 8 being introduced around the mid 50s

The above relates only to the DC ranges, of course.

The AVO 8 was regarded as the top of the range and had a price
tag to match - certainly well out of my league.

My first meter had a similar specification but not the
mechanical robustness, nor the 'bombproof' cut-out protected
movement of the AVO but it served its purpose well. I may
still have it around somewhere.

--

Terry