Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Does anyone really need to be a billionaire?

On 11/10/2019 06:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 5:23:34 AM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 23:40:37 -0700, rbowman wrote:

Yeah, I'm a dinosaur and I never quite got the whole service economy
thing. Gates, or I should say Microsoft, does create software. Even that
is very intangible. I've been in the software game for about 40 years
and I'm not sure anything I've done was all that necessary or even had a
positive effect.

I spent 30 years writing code. I doubt there's a line of it in use today.

You might have been writing the wrong sort of code. I know some aircraft
companies still using 30-year-old Fortran code (or older). If it ain't
broke....

NOAA has a treasure trove of code that can be adapted -- if you speak
FORTRAN.

https://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/wavewatch/

At least this package is FORTRAN 90. I've worked with some that is still
77.

As a side note, f2c takes perfectly good FORTRAN code and produces a
steaming pile of **** that vaguely looks like C.