John Willis

Default New Roof Leaks Already

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:02:54 GMT, "Ed Larsen"
scribbled this interesting note:

We had a similar issue on our 9 year old house. We were having some bathroom
work done and hte contractor looked at it for us. The roof jacks which are
the covers around pipe penetations in the roof. They seal the gap around the
pipe had cracks in the rubber. Silicone caulk and the leak was fixed. They
used to use lead roof jacks, and now use these worthless rubber things.
Contractor said the price difference is only a few bucks a piece. I guess if
you are ahome builder and building hundreds of home then a few bucks times a
few thousand is a bunch of bucks.

New home builders do indeed use the flashings with a neoprene seal.
For exactly the reason you stated. You would be time, effort, and
money ahead to have all the original plumbing vent flashings with the
neoprene seals removed and lead flashings installed. Save yourself
headaches and hassles in the long run to take care of a problem you
know is there already and will only get worse since they all will leak
eventually.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)