Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange lighting wiring

Yes I'm assuming each light has its own transformer and the wiring is thus
at mains volts. Not sure about the odd colours though.
What one needs is a tungsten lamp on a bit of wire. Beats a meter for this
stuff any day! grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 16:46:37 UTC, Lee Nowell wrote:
So for this I conclude that
Grey is neutral
black is perm live
Brown is switched live

Is this correct ?

Probably. But it's certainly not 12 volts :-)

More worryingly any idea why I am getting spurious voltages when the
switch
is off?

Induced voltage from parallel conductors.

With cables having coupling in the order of about 100pf/metre (minimum), it
only takes 10m to get a whole 1nF (i.e. 73uA leakage). Digital multimeters
(good ones, that is) are about 20Mohm input. If you measure with a good ol'
analogue meter you'll probably find a lot lower than [76V].

https://www2.theiet.org/forums/forum...&threadid=3053

See also

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questi...-be-at-0-volts

Owain