Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Strange lighting wiring

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 16:46:37 UTC, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

I have some 12v spotlights in my bathroom. I needed to move one so disconnected it some time ago and have eventually cut the new hole today. Having now forgotten which way it was wired I thought I should check with a multi meter to be on the safe side. It is 3 core and earth and the results (all AC) are as follows

With switch off
Grey - brown 146v
Grey - black 240v
Brown - black 76v

With switch on
Grey - brown 240v
Grey - black 240v
Brown - black 0v

So for this I conclude that
Grey is neutral
black is perm live
Brown is switched live

Is this correct ? More worryingly any idea why I am getting spurious voltages when the switch is off?

Thanks in advance

Lee.

If your meter is one of these cheap"mickey mouse" ones. they often give spurious readings. It's on account of the tiny current they draw.