Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Strange lighting wiring

On 10/11/2019 03:43, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 November 2019 20:51:03 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/11/2019 19:21, Lee Nowell wrote:

The meter is an old (circa 30 years) fluke meter. Good quality but old. There is earth at the junction box - should I run some more reading with that?

A 30-year old digital meter will probably be 20M or more, while an
older, analogue meter might be 10K.

SteveW

Decent moving pointers were 50k/volt, so 15M on a 300v dc scale, half that on ac. Rock bottom ones were 1k/v so 150k for 300v ac scale.

Well I never knew before that the Avo 8 (with 1000 ohms-per-volt on AC
ranges of 100V and upwards) was at least close to "rock bottom" in the
moving coil meter market.

--
Robin