Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Picking a desk lock

On 9 Nov 2019 18:44:10 GMT, David WE Roberts
wrote:

I bought a two drawer wooden filing cabinet (well, one filing drawer and
one shallow drawer) on Gumtree. No key, but checked it out and all looked
good.

Now we have lugged it up to the office it won't open.
It seems to be locked.
I assume the mechanism may have shifted during transit.

Does anyone know how easy these office furniture locks are to pick?

I could always drill it out, I suppose, but it would be nicer just to be
able to undo it.

The furniture is labelled "Project" and the key number is 125 and (we
think) 78 on top. Could possibly be 7R?

Bloody typical!

Cheers

Dave R

Project Office Furnitu the script at the top of their web page
(project.co.uk) invites you to order replacement keys from them.

Alternatively, there are master keys for those locks and the chances
are that your local seller of second-hand office furniture has got one
and could open the cabinet for you.

Actually, I'VE got one of those master keys - about forty years ago I
worked for a company that sold on those cabinets as new and I kept it
in case it came in useful. I've just turned the house upside down
looking for it and all I've achieved so far is an upside-down house.
Sorry. I'll get back to the thread if anything turns up but do try
Project and/or a second-hand dealer.

Nick