Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where do smart meters get their power from?

What are you referring to the gas meter or the remote unit. I'd imagine the
remote unit will be pretty low power as when everyone gets them some band is
going to be rather busy!

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
On 08/11/2019 15:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Page wrote:

does the power that they use come out of what the consumer pays for?

no, it comes from the unmetered side.

But what about the smart gas meter?

They have a 10 year D-Cell to talk to the smart electricity meter, they
only send readings every 30 minutes.

They come with a charger which plugs into a mains socket. The will work
for a while until the battery discharges. Very similar in that way to a
mobile phone. To my mind their big weakness is that they have a p*ss poor
range, so as my electric meter is at the far end of the house it will not
work properly in my lounge. A frustrating waste of space.