Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Fitting TRVs

On 08/11/2019 10:12, wrote:
Is the connection between a radiator tail and the actual valve any sort of standard? And/or the overall "width" of the valve?

I'm trying to work out what my chances are of swapping the existing valves for TRVs without fitting new tails and adjusting the pipework.

Since it's cold, I want, for a change, to estimate the duration of the work before I start it.

You may get away with it if the physical size of the valves (inlet to
outlet) match.

When I replace all my 20 year old TRV I had to change the tails in the
radiator. The valve body on the old TRV was longer. In addition I found
the screw thread on the compression nut on the old fitting did not match
that on the new fitting necessitating removing the olive in order to fit
the new nut. On many pipes removing the old olive was difficult and I
found it easier to cut the old pipe and solder in a new piece. The
exercise was complicated by the pipes having been painted and having to
syphon any water out of the existing pipe(s) before soldering.

For the tails I already had
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenber...-spanner/95088
which made this part of the job much easier.