Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Cherry Picker

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Nope, they usually have a man bucket running up one of the
stay cables driven by a ground winch. Time costs and they
can't have them wasting time climbing hand over hand etc...

Yeah, you can see a short ladder from the stay cable to
the platform in one of the last photos in your last link.

Anyone got any links to a video or doco of the
entire tower being put up in the first place ?

Not that one but this one out at Mendelsham in Suffolk for the opening
of ITV in the region back in 1959. I remember that time well it was a
gloriously hot summer and I bet some of the blokes a rigging this
developed skin cancer most all stripped to the waist. The firm that made
it Painter Brothers in Hereford is still there in operation!.

You can see how they used to get up there with their equipment and
aerial parts all relying on the winch man and engine! Brave old boys
doubt if any are around nowadays.

Enjoy!..

I did indeed, thanks for that. Must have been how ours
was done too only a little later. Same type of tower, not
quite so tall because its on the top of a decent sized hill.
with flat land all around.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/861

The structure is still there also no longer carrying TV but does some FM
and DAB services.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1341