Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker extractor hoods with remote motors

On 06/11/2019 22:05, wrote:
On 06/11/2019 17:52, Robert wrote:
On 05/11/2019 23:19,
wrote:
On 05/11/2019 20:29, Robert wrote:
On 05/11/2019 19:50,
wrote:
Having now decided on the WC extractor (thanks to PeterC) it's time
to tackle the next problem.
My cooker is set into what was once the kitchen fireplace. To
reduce noise in the kitchen I plan to fit a S/S box (about 1100 x
300), with appropriate filters, in the space above the cooker and
to extract (horizontally) through the side chimney breast and a 90
degree bend, then through the wall to the outside world. The
ducting run would be 1-2 metres and there are no neighbours to
worry about.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has done something
similar. The decisions are whether to have an externally-mounted
fan or an in-line fan, where to buy, and whether the S/S plenum is
available or whether it needs to be bespoke. Google has turned-up a
few possible candidates but opinions based on personal experience
are always useful.
I used an Elicia ? fan designed for external mounting , this came
with the standard canopy/filters/lights and switches which were
installed above the cooker in the kitchen fireplace.
I mounted the fan in the chimneyflue at 1st floor level accessing
the flue through the redundant bedroom/study fireplace. Ducting, 6",
below and above the fan. I used quite a lot of sound insulation
around the fan on the mounting plate and on the access hatch in the
fireplace.
Worked very well, flow rates were very high and noise levels lowÂ* in
the kitchen and very low in the study.
The house was Georgian with large flues which made it relatively
easy to do.
Thanks, that's very interesting. The nearest name I can find is
Elica, but they don't seem to list an external fan. Do you have any
more info on the one you found?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ELB60RM.html
52cm ELIBLOC9Â* Built In/Under Hood GreyÂ* with External Motor Unit
I removed the fan unit from the nice external housing, which is now
used as a heat shield when soldering , and made my own mounting plate
up using heavy ply.
I seem to remember that having an external fan also meant that the
canopy/hood, which is not as high as the with fan units , was easier
to fit above the cooker in the limited chimney space while providing
the minimum clearance above the gas hob.

Thanks again. I need something in the 90-120cm range so, unfortunately,
that particular model is too small and the larger one has been
discontinued. Other makes are ridiculously expensive (who would spend
over £1k on an extractor?) but a search around eBay gave me some ideas
for a custom DIY solution if I can't find something suitable off-the-peg
at a sensible price.

It should be easy enough. Our cooker hood just consists of a casing
which holds a filter on a drop down panel and inside is a plastic
moulded fan housing (exhausting through either the top or the back
depending where you put the flange and the blanking plate), the motor
and a light. Remove that and add an LED lamp and you'd have a filter
housing ready for connection to a duct and in-line fan.

SteveW