Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Any GRP roofing experts out there?

On 04/11/2019 20:12, wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
As part of a small extension I needed a "hidden" flat roof section. I
got builders to do the groundwork, blockwork and roofing - although
their work in most areas has been good, the GRP roof did not go well and
they've run out of ideas, so I need some advice.
The flat roof slopes back (and sideways) to an existing tiled roof and
water then spills down a valley. The problem is that the GRP seems to be
porous where the flat roof meets the old roof, this despite appropriate
flashing and 3 layers of mat. The cure would be fairly easy (with
another layer of GRP) if the weather was dry and warm, but it isn't now
and probably won't be until the Spring.
Once the area is dry I think the answer will be to cut-out this section
of GRP and to glass-in some new mat, taking care to thoroughly
impregnate it with resin.
The question is: what can I/they do to make it watertight until it can
be fixed properly? It needs something that can be applied to a damp
surface.

Aquapol ain't cheap but worked very well on this felt flat roof that is
nominally well past the usual life. It has cracked where it was bent up
under the flashing. Used their reinforcing gauze too. Only intended it as
a temporary fix, but it's done three winters so far.

We've decided to construct a tent over the flat section and, if this
works, they will then re-do the GRP. If that fails then it will be
Aquapol or TekCryl to get through the winter and fix it properly in the
dry weather.

If you mean Acrypol, then my experience of it, when used over Isoflex
is that is expensive and useless. Lasts about a year.