Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Any GRP roofing experts out there?

On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 20:40:42 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

Connecting *pin holes* through three layers seems unlikely and you don't
mention a gel coat.

Quite, especially as many boats are lighter built than that. ;-)

No leaks found in my d-i-y one, yet!

Excellent, but then I know how much attention to detail you generally
apply to such things.

I have laid up quite a bit of fibreglass in my time and also come
across some pretty poor example of both amateur and professional work
(too 'dry' being the worst).

Many seem to put the resin on like a paint, rather than stippling it
through with the right sort of brush, therefore not 'wetting' the mat
/ roving out properly.

You don't want to over-work chopped-strand-mat either or you can start
to impact the consistency too much.

Re gel-coat, I've only ever applied it directly to a mould where it's
then followed by the resin / fibreglass and because std gel is
anaerobic (?), you don't need to prep the gelcoat to get the resin to
bond effectively.

I think you can apply gelcoat to the outside of some (cured)
fibreglass but I think it's different or needs further coating (wax?)
to get it to fully cure?

I am lucky that I don't seem to react to fibreglass itself, lucky
because I spent much of my youth stuck in lockers or other confined
spaces glassing stuff up for Dad on our various boats. It was like a
modern day version of the kids used to sweep chimneys. ;-)

I was thinking of putting a fibreglass roof on my (10x6') shed that is
still in Mums back garden but I imagine the materials would cost quite
a bit these days?

Cheers, T i m