Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default H&M Powermaster transformer/controller (blown capacitor)

On Sunday, 3 November 2019 11:46:58 UTC, Graeme wrote:
An update on an earlier post. Partial dismantle completed, and images
here :

http://www.binnsroad.co.uk/misc/powermaster/

Plenty of wax, presumably from the capacitor. Question is, can I just
solder in a new one to replace the old, and if so, what? In other
words, is there a modern replacement?

Thanks!

It's a paper 0.1uF 750v. The high v rating suggests it's across the mains, in which case replace it with a 0.1uF X2 type cap, they're generally rated to 275v ac. It ought to work ok without the cap.

The unit also has a metal rectifier by the look of it. I hope it's not selenium... Best power it up outdoors.

NT