Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Smart meters to be compulsary?

"Robin" wrote in message
On 02/11/2019 23:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 08:26:26 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

We have next to no idea if there is a water leak between meter and
house.

Leaks tend to "sing". A bad leak will be audible where the rising
main enters the building. To listen for a small one press the handle
of a long screwdriver against you ear and the other end against the
rising main. With nothing taking water you shouldn't hear anything a
leak will be a sort of hissing noise. Also listen to the street stop
cock.

While that's still one of the ways Thames Water /locate/ leaks, if a user
is fit enough to listen for leaks then with a water meter they can
probably just turn off every tap and see if the meter shows a flow*. But
that does require the ability/willingness to kneel on the pavement (or
worse) and peer at a meter. I'd thought Polygonum's point was more that
it'd be nice to check for leaks in comfort from an in-home display.

Could be worse though: I wonder how the many water meters in Oz are home
to a dangerous spiders and snakes.

Never seen either with mine and ours are currently above ground.

Redbacks are trivial to check for and there isnt enough room for a snake.

My stupid meter ticks audibly with any water flow.

*all the meters I've seen were analogue with a "low flow indicator" so
it's not a matter of spotting a needle move round the numbers. I think
the digital ones switch the display to a direct reading of flow rate.