Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Laundry platform

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 4:10:05 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 23:13:32 -0700 (PDT), "(;harles"
wrote:

Oh, and I agree on pre-drilling stuff,

Really?

How does one pre-drill?

Is it some sort of Zen-like thought process?

Or is the intention to describe drilling pilot holes for screws?

pre-drill - to drill before. Pretty basic semantics
Drill before driving screw or nail.

Don't we *always* drill before doing something with the hole?

When I drill a hole before inserting an anchor bolt, should I say I
pre-drilled?

When I drill a hole before pulling a wire through it, should I say I
pre-drilled?

When I drill a starter hole before using my jig saw, should I say I
pre-drilled?

Even though the most common interpretation of pre-drill is, in fact,
to drill before driving a screw or nail, the basic semantics - "to drill
before" doesn't really define what we are drilling "before".

Isn't language fun? ;-)

BTW...Is it pre-drill or predrill?