Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Smart meters to be compulsary?

On Friday, 1 November 2019 13:33:18 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
May I ask a question about these?

My current supplier (arranged by Flipper) needs monthly readings. Gas
meter is in the cellar, and not in the easiest place for reading Leccy one
is easy.

Free meters with a remote reading would be very handy. Don't really care
how smart they are as I already know leaving the oven etc on when not
needed will waste money. ;-)

As I have previously posted, the meters that might most helpfully be remotely readable are water meters. Whether smart or dumb, but preferably with a mechanism for alerting if flow is continuous or excessive.

We can easily wander out and open the gas and electric meter enclosures. We have a very good idea as to our gas and electricity usage. We have next to no idea if there is a water leak between meter and house.