Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Smart meters to be compulsary?

On Fri, 01 Nov 2019 13:27:54 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

May I ask a question about these?

My current supplier (arranged by Flipper) needs monthly readings. Gas
meter is in the cellar, and not in the easiest place for reading Leccy
one is easy.

Free meters with a remote reading would be very handy. Don't really care
how smart they are as I already know leaving the oven etc on when not
needed will waste money. ;-)

I signed up for a tariff which mandated a Smart Meter.
I await a few quarters to give me an idea if there has been any impact.
Meanwhile I have a display in the hall which includes a clock synchronised
with the mobile network.
So perhaps a very minor win.

Oh, and there was a possible very minor gas leak from the meter outside
the house - small (but within tolerance) drop in gas pressure when tested
before the meter swap. No drop afterwards.

Cheers

Dave R