Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Cherry Picker

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Heres a vid of what they do do with helicopters and the down draft is
there but these men are well experienced in this sort of operation but
for matey the other day different matter poor sod!..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1AmVxYh1s

Fark. Wondered how they get it on the bolt holes,, obvious when you think
of it.

Anyone who does that sort of job, working at height, deserves every bit of
danger money that they get. Made me suffer from vertigo just looking at it!

Interesting to see that he tightened the bolts only by turning the bolt
head, and not also by turning the nut. I presume they hold the nut very
firmly, because the last thing they want to do is to drop it... I wonder if
the rod that he was using to grab the mast was fastened to him, to prevent
him dropping it - but fastened in such a way that a really hefty tug (if the
wind catches the aerial or the helicopter drifts sideways) will not pull him
off the mast: better that the rod falls than that the man does...

I was surprised at how easily they got the aerial located over the bolt
holes, even using the steel cable to pull it roughly in line. Maybe the
holes in the mast are a lot bigger than the diameter of the bolts, so they
can tolerate not being perfectly lined up until the bolt is through and
holds the aerial from moving sideways.

I presume we didn't see the bit where the bolts are tightened (with a
well-held spanner) more than just finger tight.