Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default the finicky lock issue resolved... you won't believe what it was!

On 10/31/19 10:06 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I had an old CRT TV I needed to get rid of. The recyclers all wanted a $40 disposal fee...so I took it for a ride on a moonless cloudy night.
It found a good home in a ditch right in front of an old sofa.

That's a shotgun offence

I regret to say that I used to do similar tricks, but I got one final
warning- a firm, but still gentle warning- to stop or else! The warning
was a shock but it worked and I haven't littered in any capacity ever
since. In fact, some good has come out of it making me realize that
there are metal recyclers nearby that will take just about anything you
want to give them and pay you cash. For a TV, they pay about $5 even
for a non-working one, because they look at it from a metal content. I
had some scrap lead laying around that I had no idea how to dispose of,
but I ended up getting over $100 in scrap fee. All I can say is that I
wish it hadn't of take such a warning to get me to just look around a
little and see there are alternatives available as opposed to the easy
littering route.

My local landfill also has "hazardous material days" twice a year where
they'll take just about anything for free. Normally, on all other days,
they might actually charge $5 for a tv, or a certain amount per lb for
lead, for example, but if one simply wait for these days, there is no
fee.