Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a lathe with feet?

On 31/10/2019 17:16, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 09:51:40 -0700 (PDT)
Davej wrote:

I've seen a number of lathes being moved in various videos on
Youtube, but most of these have a base that can be rolled on
pipes. I need to move a lathe with feet. It has four feet and
each foot is about 4" x 4" on a 22" x 64" pattern. What is the
best approach? Thanks.

How heavy is the machine?
How far you going?
What kind of floor do you have?
What condition is the floor???

If you have a smooth cement floor take a look at moving skates. Like
this search:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=moving skates

Just be careful with moving skates as they can shift. I know a guy that
was recently moving his Harrison M300 on skates with a mate and the mate
hadn't noticed a skate had shifted and when they went to move the lathe
it fell on it front writing off most of the lathe. He's selling the
salvageable parts on ebay at the moment. I know a M300 can be moved on
rollers as I have one. What is the lathe you want to move.