Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Smart meters to be compulsary?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Until all the companies can actually supply a customer monitor module that
has a voice so it can be used by blind people, they will not offer us one
according to EDF. However I've heard and touched one which is now,
apparently available and yet EDF have they say never heard of it, instead
offering an Echo skill or a smart phone app instead.

I am just going to sit here and wait and see what happens.

Your current stupid meter can't be read by blind people
so its unlikely that they will do anything special for you
lot when the smart meters become compulsory.

I've seen three meter changes over the years in this property.

Mine hasn’t been changed in 45 years. The off peak meter has
been, but that was to allow the off peak service to be turned
off and on by the supply authority using tones on the mains.

Apparently, meters have to go to be refurbished every so often and hence
they will probably leave the hassle of changing them till that period is
reached.

More likely when only the luddites have refused
to have a smart meter and they get sick of
paying monkeys to read those manually.

However if they are still reconditioning old ones, maybe you can get one
of those.

Unlikely they will recondition old ones imo.
Makes more sense to just replace the meter.

What would be nice is to have an economy 7 type system where you can elect
to ovr ride it in circumstances where cost is not the issue.

More likely economy 7 will be scrapped and
you can choose to have a time of use tariff imo.

After all we can do that on water heaters already. When I asked about it I
was told that I'd need to change all my storage heaters and give each a
dual supply. Not very helpful, maybe remote controlled smart meters is the
answer.

Or a time of use tariff. Much more useful.

"harry" wrote in message
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml#newcomment