Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Horton Jim Horton is offline

Default cigarette smoke grabber for solder smoke?

I ended up making something very similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034F2JKX1Rs

In a pinch, it works ok I guess. I'm not sure how well it truly filters
as I have yet to test something like incense with it like he did. In
hindsight, I probably should have researched further and came up with
something else. The biggest drawback is that you have to be pretty
close to the intake, within 6", so that would mean the iron, circuit
board being soldered, etc. Won't always be that easy getting larger
boards that close. So I guess two improvements I would have made would
be to add a stronger fan and drop a DIY activated charcoal filter
somewhere in between the six layers.