Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Cherry Picker

"John" wrote in message
2.222...
One hell of a cherry picker used in that chimney rescue attempt in
Cumbria.

Yes it was. 260 feet high (probably a bit more since they are always
operated with a least a *bit* of a bend at the elbow joint.

So sad that it didn't get there in time to save the man. I wonder why he
went up the tower - a prank, or an attempt to unfurl a protest banner?

If Fred Dibnah had still been with us, I bet he'd have shinned up the ladder
and rescued the guy, with no regard to health and safety or whether it would
lead to "half a day out with the undertaker".

Would it have helped at Grenfell?

I suppose it would have got some people out, though I imagine it takes quite
a while to lower and raise, so there may have been a long delay between
rescuing one load of people and the next.

Good that the Grenfell enquiry may lead to a change in the "in case of fire,
stay put" advice to people in tower blocks.