Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Turned off main water valve, some water still running?

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 08:48:59 -0400, slate_leeper
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 03:44:01 +0000, Joe
om wrote:

I turned off the main water valve outside the house to change the kitchen hot
water shut off vlave because it keeps dripping water. I relieved the
pressure by opening the water in the bathroom closest to the kitchen. When I
removed the valve hot (warm) water kept coming out. I put a bucket waiting
for the presure to finish but it would not stop. Tried to replace with the new
one but the water would not allow me to finish the job. had to put back the
old one. Water still drips slow but i am still confused on why the water
keeps comimg out after shuting off the city main valve.

1) Any water in the system that is above the valve you removed will
run out by gravity. That means if you are on the ground floor, all the
pipes on higher floors will drain. If the water heater is on the same
floor as you, it will drain down to the level where you opened the
line. Try shutting off the water heater valve and see if water runs
for less time.

2) When you shut the city valve did the flow indicator on the meter
completely stop?

Not an uncommon problem - try "cycling" the valve a few times.
corrosion (bad) or sediment (not so bad) can prevent the valve from
sealing. You may need to get the city to replace the valve if it is
theirs