Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain blocked with caustic soda

Yes, seriously, I know of a drain that was blown apart by the reaction,
which was not nice for anyone in splatter range.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 30/10/19 02:54,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 October 2019 02:44:07 UTC, Jake wrote:
I poured caustic soda down my shower hole and it has harderned any leads
?
I'm panicking

water dissolves it. Vinegar dissolves it faster, but beware of splash
from caustic, a chemical that can blind you.

Whatever you do, do it slowly and do not use boiling water to try to speed
things up. Caustic soda solidified in a drain might have a layer of
sodium carbonate covering it (it is very efficient at removing carbon
dioxide from the air). That carbonate layer dissolves a lot more slowly
than caustic soda itself. Once the caustic soda is exposed, it can react
unpredictably and sometimes almost explosively with boiling water. As NT
says, it can blind you if it shoots out of from the drain hole as a hot,
concentrated, highly corrosive solution. At the very least, good eye
protection is essential, and a full-face mask makes sense if you already
have one.

--

Jeff